IMMUNOLOGY 2019™ provides a wide range of sessions to support the career development of students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty.
- Attend our workshops, roundtables, and panel discussions to explore specific career topics and issues
- Network with experienced scientists to gain insight into your own career development
- Consult with career experts one-on-one or in small groups to learn advice specific to your own situation and goals
NIH Grant Review and Funding Information Room
NIH program and review staff will be available in the NIH Grant Review and Funding Information Room for individual conversations and consultations. The schedule is posted here (PDF) and also on site to show specific times staff members will be available to answer questions about the scientific review process, grant/fellowship opportunities, and NIH institute-specific interests. Consultations will be available on a drop-in basis. No appointments are necessary.
AAI is sponsoring a virtual Jobs Board on the IMMUNOLOGY 2019™ website. The Jobs Board service is FREE to all meeting registrants and exhibitors. Job Seekers! Review the online AAI Jobs Board to identify positions that target attendees. Reach recruiters directly; job postings will include e-mail addresses for recruiters’ designated contacts. Employers! Take advantage of this unparalleled opportunity to recruit from over 3,000 immunologists at all career stages!
Friday, May 10, 2019 9:00 am – 10:00 am Room 32AB
How to Convert Your CV into a RésuméSpeaker:
- Derek Haseltine, Director, Career Develop. Ctr., Baylor Col. of Med.
Friday, May 10, 2019 11:00 am – 1:00 pm Room 32AB
Immunology Teaching Interest Group
Sponsored by the AAI Education CommitteeChairs:
- Anil K. Bamezai, Villanova Univ.
- Stephanie James, Regis Univ. Sch. of Pharmacy
- Michelle Snyder, Towson Univ., Student outcomes in a CURE course using simple model organisms to characterize host-pathogen interactions
- Laurie Shornick, Saint Louis Univ., Using an entrepreneurial mindset activity to create value in an immunobiology course
- John Frelinger, Univ. of Rochester, Immunology “hooks”: strategies to increase student engagement
- William Carr, Medgar Evers Col., City Univ. of New York, Using "Pillars of Immunology" research articles to enhance problem-solving skills among undergraduate students at a Predominantly Black Institution
- Deborah Brown, Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln, JiTT strategies and student outcomes
- Devavani Chatterjea, Macalester Col., Ready to talk about it? A toolkit for reading and discussing scientific papers in undergraduate immunology classrooms
- Nicholas Pullen, Univ. of Northern Colorado, Authentic science engagement: toward a CURE for undergraduate immunology
- Kara Lukin, Univ. of Colorado, Denver, Jeffrey Novack, Col. of Med., Pacific Northwest Univ., and Sarah Redmond, Radford Univ., Using case studies across the immunology curriculum
Friday, May 10, 2019 11:45 am - 2:15 pm Ballroom 20A
Careers Roundtable and Speed Networking Session
Sponsored by the AAI Minority Affairs Committee (MAC)Chair:
- Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh; AAI Minority Affairs Committee Chair
Discussion topics and table leaders:
Grad Student: finding a mentor, setting sights on postdoc training
- Table Leaders: Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Luis A. Sanchez-Perez, Duke Univ.; Tonya Webb, Univ. of Maryland; Santiago Partida-Sanchez, Ohio State Univ.
Postdoc: finding a mentor, setting sights on a faculty position
- Table Leaders: Mireia Guerau-de-Arellano, Ohio State Univ.; C. Henrique Serezani, Vanderbilt Univ.; Avery August, Cornell Univ.
Junior Faculty: preparing for promotion and tenure
- Table Leaders: Margaret S. Bynoe, Cornell Univ.; Prosper Boyaka, Ohio State Univ.
Work-life balance, it’s real!
- Table Leader: Claudia Jakubzick, Natl. Jewish Hlth.
Academia or Industry: how to decide (or switch sides)
- Table Leaders: Homero Sepulveda, Thermo Fisher Scientific; Cherié Butts, Biogen; Jonathan A. Deane, GNF/Novartis; Louis Gonzalez, Shattuck Labs
Government Agency Careers:
- Table Leaders: Jennifer Martinez, NIEHS, NIH; Marta Catalfamo, Georgetown Univ.
Non-Bench-Research Science Careers – e.g., entrepreneurship/research technology; non-profits/foundations; intellectual property/patent law
- Table Leaders: Robert Balderas, BD Biosciences; James W. Lillard, Morehouse Sch. of Med. and JYANT Technologies; Thandi Onami, Gates Fndn.; Gregory P. Einhorn, Greer, Burns and Crain, Ltd.
Friday, May 10, 2019 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm Room 32AB
Careers in Biotech: Panel Discussion and Networking
Sponsored by the AAI Education Committee
Generously supported by the Allen Institute for ImmunologyChair:
- Kerry A. Casey, Allen Inst. for Immunology
- Cherié L. Butts, Associate Medical Director, Biogen
- Steve Crampton, Senior Scientist, Pharmacology & Immunology, aTyr Pharma, Inc.
- Luisa Salter-Cid, Chief Scientific Officer, Gossamer Bio
- Karsten Sauer, Vice President, Immunology, Torque Therapeutics
Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:15 am – 11:15 am Room 32AB
Interviewing for a JobSpeaker:
- Derek Haseltine, Director, Career Development Center, Baylor Col. of Med.
Saturday, May 11, 2019 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Ballroom 20A
Careers in Science Roundtable
Sponsored by the AAI Education Committee & AAI Committee on the Status of Women (CSOW)Chair:
- Laura A. Solt, Scripps Res. Inst.; AAI Committee on the Status of Women Chair
Discussion topics and table leaders:
Research Careers in Academia
- Succeeding in Graduate School
Table Leaders: Lori R. Covey, Rutgers Univ.; Ann Griffith, Univ. of Texas Hlth. San Antonio
- Graduate Student to Postdoc: finding a postdoc, interviewing Table Leaders: Lyse A. Norian, Univ. of Alabama, Birmingham; Lisa K. Denzin, Child Hlth. Inst. of New Jersey, Rutgers; Tyler K. Ulland, Univ. of Wisconsin; Steven Templeton, Indiana Univ. Sch. of Med.
- Postdoc to PI:
- Government Research Institutions Table Leaders: Dorian McGavern, NINDS, NIH
- Medical Schools Table Leaders: Lauren A. Zenewicz, Univ. of Oklahoma Hlth. Sci. Ctr.; Carrie L. Lucas, Yale Univ.
- Undergraduate Institutions Table Leaders: Matthew R. Olson, Purdue Univ.
- New PI:
- Recruiting Students and Postdocs Table Leaders: Irene Salinas, Univ. of New Mexico; Aimee M. Beaulieu, Rutgers Univ.
- Preparing for Promotion Table Leaders: Louis B. Justement, Univ. of Alabama, Birmingham; Linda A. Sherman, Scripps Res. Inst.
- Tips for Balancing Teaching and Research Table Leaders: Bao Q. Vuong, City Col. of New York
- Negotiating an Academic Position Table Leaders: Gudrun Debes, Thomas Jefferson Univ.; William R. Green, Dartmouth Univ. Geisel Sch. of Med.
- Mentoring Effectively Table Leaders: Amanda M. Jamieson, Brown Univ.; Lisa C. Osborne, Univ. of British Columbia
- How to Build a Network for Postdocs Table Leaders: Laura A. Solt, Scripps Res. Inst.; Juliet Morrison, Univ. of California, Riverside
- Networking Skills for PIs Table Leaders: Jeremy M. Boss, Emory Univ. Sch. of Med.; Meera G. Nair, Univ. of California, Riverside
Work / Life Balance
- Table Leaders: Jennifer M. Lund, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Ctr.; Kathryn E. Hulse, Northwestern Univ.
Careers in Veterinary Immunology
- Table Leader: Alan J. Young, South Dakota State Univ.
Careers in Biotech and Industry: moving from academia to industry and vice versa
- Table Leaders: William H. Hildebrand, Univ. of Oklahoma Hlth. Sci. Ctr.; Jennifer Towne, Janssen; Antara Banerjee, Takeda; Mandy J. McGeachy, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Robert Balderas, BD Biosciences; Catherine J. McMahan, Aptevo Therapeutics; Stephen T. Haley, Immudex; Kerry A. Casey, Allen Inst. for Immunology; Yina H. Huang, Dartmouth Univ. Geisel School of Med.; Karsten Sauer, Torque Therapeutics; Tamar Boursalian, Novo Nordisk; Christopher Haines, Takeda
Careers at Government Agencies
- Table Leaders: Deborah L. Hodge, CSR, NIH; Jennifer H. Meyers, NIAID, NIH; Crystal L. Loving, USDA
NIH Study Section Insights
- Grant Writing for Fellowships/Transition Awards Table Leaders: Mark L. Lang, Univ. of Oklahoma Hlth. Sci. Ctr.; Virginia M. Shapiro, Mayo Clinic
- Grant Writing for PIs Table Leaders: Jyotika Sharma, Univ. of North Dakota.; Tessa Bergsbaken, Rutgers New Jersey Med. Sch.
The Physician Scientist: balancing clinical and research duties
- Table Leaders: Tyler J. Curiel, Univ. of Texas Hlth. Sci. Ctr.
Research from the M.D.-Ph.D. Perspective
- Table Leader: Sharon Celeste Morley, Washington Univ. Sch. of Med.
Non-Research Careers for Scientists: careers enabling scientists to advance the field away from the bench
- Scientific Publishing Table Leader: Nicole Beauchamp, The Journal of Immunology, AAI; Ifor R. Williams, Science Immunology
- Opportunities for Scientists in Foundations/Non-profits Table Leaders: Courtney R. Pinard, Career Development and Awards, AAI
- Careers in Science Policy Table Leaders: Lauren G. Gross, Public Policy and Government Affairs, AAI; Lauren L. Brodd, Public Policy and Government Affairs, AAI
- Technology Transfer Table Leaders: Gregory P. Einhorn, Greer, Burns and Crain, Ltd.; Donna Shaw, Life Science Licensing, Univ. of California, San Diego; Peter Goebel, Scripps Res. Inst.
International Opportunities in Science
- Table Leader: Maziar Divangahi, McGill Univ.; Mattias Collin, Lund Univ.
Sunday, May 12, 2019 9:00 am – 10:00 am Room 32AB
Secrets for a Successful Postdoctoral FellowshipSpeaker:
- Ryan Wheeler, Director of Career, International, and Postdoctoral Services, Scripps Res. Inst.
Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:15 am – 12:15 pm Room 30AB
NIH Grants Workshop: Demystifying the Grant Application Submission, Review, and Funding ProcessesChair:
- Tina McIntyre, CSR, NIH
- Tina McIntyre, Scientific Review Officer, III Study Section, Immunology IRG, DPPS, CSR, NIH
- Deborah Hodge, Scientific Review Officer, HAI Study Section, Immunology IRG, DPPS, CSR, NIH
- Joseph Breen, Chief, Immunoregulation Section, Basic Immunology Branch, DAIT, NIAID, NIH
Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:15 am – 11:45 am Room 32AB
International Opportunities in ScienceChair:
- Winfried F. Pickl, Med. Univ. of Vienna, Austria
- Mattias Collin, Lund Univ., Sweden
- Thomas Kamradt, Univ. Hosp. Jena, Germany
- Shigeo Koyasu, RIKEN, Japan
- Hanne Ostergaard, Univ. of Alberta, Canada
- Eui-Cheol Shin, Korea Adv. Inst. of Sci. and Technol., Korea